The Town of Leicester originated in 1802 as a part of Genesee County. When Livingston County was formed in 1821, Leicester was included as part of the new county. Within the Town of Leicester, the Village of Moscow was established in 1814 and the Village of Cuylerville was incorporated in 1848. The Village of Moscow was renamed Leicester in 1917. Cuylerville was once the site of one of the largest and most significant villages of the Seneca Indians. Known as Little Beards Town, it was destroyed by the Continental Army of General Sullivan during the American Revolution. In 1841 the remains of Lt. Boyd & Sgt. Parker were exhumed and taken to Rochester. The Civil War Soldier’s monument was placed in the Village of Leicester in 1911. This ceremony featured one of the first airplane demonstrations in the country. A crowd of nearly 4,000 people attended the dedication.
The Sullivan Campaign of The Revolutionary War - The Impact on Livingston County 1779-2004 (copies available at the Leicester Town Hall)
Leicester Presbyterian Church - 200 Years of History, by Karen Roffe